While most of us are anxious to put the year 2020 behind us, it has been a stellar year for the fishing industry. More fishing licenses were sold than ever before. More children and women learned how to fish or got better at it. In a year where there wasn’t much to do, fishing became one of the premier social distancing sports.
So, the question is, what will 2021 and beyond bring?
- North America has the highest demand for fishing equipment (37%), followed by Europe, China, and Japan.
- Freshwater fishing accounts for over 64% of all fishing in the world.
- Fishing equipment worldwide sales are expected to be the equivalent of USD 13.4 billion by the end of 2021 and USD 16.7 billion by the end of 2026, which is an annual growth of 3.1 percent.
2021 Boating Trends
- Fishing boats make up the largest percentage of all boat sales and are expected to grow 2 percent over 2019 sales in 2021, making the number of fishing boats sold worldwide at 285,900. Breaking this down further means 782 boats sold per day, or one boat sold every other minute.
- The average boat cost in 2019 was $146,900; however, that includes everything from yachts to entry-level motorboats. New bass boats typically run from $30,000 to $69,000.
- Marine fuel will be safer in 2021 because sulfur emissions will be capped at .5 percent of total exhaust volume.
- Renewable diesel fuel is 100% renewable as it is made from vegetable oils, and it will dominate the marine fuel market.
- 2021 is expected to be 3-5% safer than in 2020.
- Drownings are the number one cause of boating deaths because boaters do not wear floatation devices. The death rate could go down by 150-180 individuals if everyone wore a floatation device.
- One hundred seventy deaths are due to head injuries due to propeller strikes. Often there is alcohol involved in these deaths as well.
- The number one cause of boating accidents are two boats colliding. While injuries often occur from these collisions, death does not.
- Saturdays between 2:30 and 4:30 pm are the most unsafe boating day and periods.
2021 Trends Summary
Since COVID-19 will be with us through at least the first half of 2021, fishing is expected to continue to grow as a sport. More boats will be sold with environmental fuel, suitable for everyone and everything (including the fish). Safety and security need to be on everyone’s mind, both in the boat in the water or when the boat is parked in your driveway or outside your motel room.
Happy New Year
Your boat is more than a hobby. It’s an expression of who you are. And you want to keep it secure. We understand. We’ve been helping boaters keep their boats safe and achieve greater peace of mind for 35+ years. Let us know how we can help you.
The Key Captain Is A State Of The Art Electronic Locking System Ideal For Bass Boats and Other Fishing Boats. If You Need Someone To Walk You Through The Options, call us at 1-440-899-9820. Or let us know if you’d like to have it installed on a new boat or retrofitted onto your boat through a dealer near you.